While you may not see it at first glance, there is a difference between a standard knife and a tactical knife. Like a standard knife, the tactical knife has variable duties, performing everyday functions. But unlike regular knives, the tactical knife is suited as a self-defense weapon when needed.
Knowing the differences between tactical and regular knives is the most important key to choosing the right product. Many people say there’s no difference between the two knives. I can tell you there’s a big difference. It’s like comparing a combat gun to a personal handgun.
Before buying your survival knife, there are eight considerations:
• What you use it for, utility tool, weapon, or survival. You may need more than one knife.
• Comfortable ergonomic design.
• The right knife size reflecting the proposed use.
• Only a stainless-steel or W1 tool steel blade.
• Non-metal stabilized material handle.
• Designed with a strong cutting edge and point. A .125-inch to .187-inch thick blade.
• Fixed or folded blade or both.
• Good manufacturer reputation known for tactical gear and a guarantee against breakage.
Whichever knife you buy, you need confidence in carrying it. While you use your knife for small jobs and tasks, it also might save your life.
Top 5 Tactical Knives
1. Zero Tolerance 095BW KVT Titanium Blackwash Knife
2. Benchmade Bedlam 860 Knife
3. Benchmade Adamas 275 Knife
4. Gerber Applegate Covert Double Bevel Serrated Tactical Knife
5. Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto 4-Inch Folding Knife
The S35VN harpoon-style stainless steel blade keeps its sharp edge throughout the toughest jobs. With the KVT ball-bearing blade deployment, you get one of the smoothest responses in a knife of this type. The titanium lock with hardened lock bar insert secures the blade during use. Rounding out the features is a reversible pocket clip for right or left carry.
A truly tactical knife, the Bedlam 860 has a durable 154CM stainless steel blade with a G10 handle. The reversible deep pocket clip and AXIS locking with thumb-stud make the 860 comfortable in either right or left hand.
The Adamas 275 is a true tactical folding knife. This multi use knife has a lanyard hole, is MOLLE compatible, and has a tip-up reversible pocket clip. Adamas knives are known as some of the strongest AXIS knives made.
Benchmade donates a portion of all Adamas knife sales to the Navy SEAL Foundation and Three Rangers. The proceeds to these non-profit organizations benefit special operations members and their families.
Considered the best tactical folding knife in its class, the Gerber Applegate is unmatched in balance, strength, and durability.
The high carbon, serrated stainless-steel blade with a 4.48-inch drop point connects to a glass-filled nylon handle. A Roto-Lock keeps the knife locked open ensuring no accidental collapse or closure.
A razor-sharp blade that’s unbelievably strong and the Tri-Ad lock makes the Cold Steel Recon resistant shock. Available in 2,3,4, and 5.5-inch blades, this is one of the best tactical knives for the money.